QEH Bristol

 

History

The Senior School

The Senior School has existed since 1590 to provide an education for boys who, for centuries, were distinguished by their 'blue coats'. It was established after Bristol merchant, John Carr, left provision for it in his Will of 1586 although the current building dates from 1847.

The School's Charter was granted by Queen Elizabeth I for ‘the education of poor children and orphans’. Today this is emphasised by the high level of pastoral care in the School and by the use of endowment income to provide financial assistance for those of limited means.

The School was a boarding school until 1920 when day boys were first admitted, and in 1945 it became a two-form entry direct grant grammar school. The direct grant ended in 1975 when the School became independent. In 1984 Her Majesty the Queen agreed to become the School’s Patron. The quatercentenary celebrations in 1990 were highlighted by the visit of The Princess Royal and the opening of QEH Theatre.

Today, having just celebrated its 425th year, QEH flourishes with 570 day boys in the Senior School and 100 in the Junior School. Recent developments include a number of significant building initiatives. In particular:  three new geography rooms - all equipped with the latest in technology; a £1.5 million Sixth Form Centre; 24 acres of additional sports fields at Failand in partnership with Bristol City Football Club and, most recently, the QEH Junior School. Plans are in place for new Science, Art and Music facilities.
 

The Junior School

QEH Junior School opened in September 2007, is an integral part of life at the QEH and is located in gracious Georgian town houses in Upper Berkeley Place. It is well-established with its former pupils now 'graduating' from the Senior School and winning places at top universities. A recent initiative, Redland High Infants with QEH, will in future provide a feeder for the Junior School.

 

Front Steps And Boys - Front Steps OLD
The QEH Entrance Hall -
part of a major refurbishment of the School during recent years which included the Schoolroom and Dining Hall