QE Award and Residential Trips
The QE Award is our own exclusive junior version of the highly popular Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme and it is carefully designed for boys in Years 5 and 6.
The scheme introduces new skills and experiences outside the boys' usual 'comfort zones', building confidence and resilience, and encouraging them to feel good about themselves.
The boys participate in a variety of modules;
- Service to others including helping at Food Banks and Homeless Centres as well as National Trust sites.
- Service to the School; through activities and events held in schools.
- Team Building; learning to get around in the outdoors and work as a group to solve problems.
- Outdoor skills; map reading, leadership, bush craft and understanding and appreciating wildlife.
The boys have a logbook in which they record their endeavours, usually with lots of photos!
The QE Award culminates in Year 6, with an overnight camp on Exmoor.
Every year group enjoys a residential trip in the Summer term.
Years 3 and 4 go away for 3 nights while Years 5 and 6 have a 4-night trip.
- Year 3 visit Magdalene Farm on the Somerset-Dorset Border which is an eco-farm.
- Year 4 go to a youth hostel in either the Brecon Beacons or Dartmoor.
- Year 5 go to the Wye Valley for a canoeing trip.
- Year 6 go to Skern Lodge in Devon for water-based activities.